Are you a practice manager or owner who is hiring? Don’t forget that HVMA members can post job openings for free! Just go to the HVMA home page and select Classified Ads and then choose Place a Classified Ad from the drop down. Or go to https://hawaiivetmed.org/classifieds/place-ad/.
Are you a relief veterinarian offering services on one or more islands in Hawaii? One of the most common inquiries we get is how to find relief veterinarians. Add your name to the relief vet listing so practice owners/ managers can utilize your services. It is free with your HVMA membership and easy to do. Go to https://hawaiivetmed.org/classifieds/place-ad/ and add your information so people know how to find you! Ads expire every 6 months, so don’t forget to renew them to keep them active.
Pet Expo is sponsored and organized by the HVMA. It has been an annual event for over 25 years and is FREE, and well received by the public, with an average of 10,000 people attending each year. The purpose of the Expo is to promote responsible pet ownership and strengthen the bond between people and their pets through educational displays, live animal demonstrations, and the latest in pet services and products. The HVMA is looking for veterinarians who will promote our profession in a positive manner and educate the public on the need for professional veterinary care. They are there to promote the HVMA and it’s mission, but can pass out business cards and information if asked for. We would like vets who are willing to volunteer their time to promote our profession and who are willing to interact with the public, to sign up.
- HVMA Booth: This year we are doing away with the “Ask A Vet” booth, although vets manning the booth will be there to answer any kind of question. The HVMA booth will be similar to last year’s theme: Common Household Dangers.
- Make and Take (Kiddie Craft ) Booth: Assist kids and their parents with making finger puppets and other paper crafts, which they get to make and take home. Keep booth clean and organized.
- Greeters: Pass out programs and poop bags at the door. Help to direct traffic in and out of the Exhibition hall. Smile and welcome people. Collect canned goods and monetary donations for the Hawaii Food Bank.
- Information Booth: Help direct people to exhibits, answer questions, make announcements, box up food donations, make more poop bags, run errands, clean up pet messes that are reported or seen.
- Show Marshalls: The “Poop Patrol”. Patrol Exhibition Hall and grounds outside, picking up pet messes. Empty overflowing trash and cigarette bins outside hall and transfer to dumpster in back. The good thing about show marshaling is that you get to walk around the hall and check out all the exhibits, although you are supposed to be working, not shopping during your shift! We always need a lot of show marshals.
If volunteers sign up by the deadline, a t-shirt will be ordered for them. Sizes are M, L, and XL; please indicate shirt size when signing up. If you sign up vets are encouraged to wear lab coats or smocks to identify themselves as vet professionals, name tags will be provided. They may also wear the Pet Expo tshirt.
Volunteers are needed for Friday night to help set up. (No AC on Friday night, wear shorts!)
Saturday and Sunday the shifts are as follows: 9:30-12:00 am, 11:30 to 2:00 pm, and 1:30 to 4:00 pm. Only the first shift will be provided a small lunch.
Volunteers should sign up by calling Dr. Kam or staff at Ohana Vet Hospital at 845-1762, or fax at 848-1632.
Aloha HVMA Members,
Pet Expo is right around the corner! Thousands of local families and their pets attend this annual event at the Blasidell Center on Mother’s Day weekend. As always, we need your help in representing the veterinary care component of responsible pet ownership. You and your support staff can make a difference in educating the public on the value and benefits of professional veterinary care. The HVMA will be hosting a booth on Common Household Dangers as well as a Kiddie Craft area. Please contact Dr. Lissa Kam at 845-1762 for more information or to sign up to help.
We are still looking for volunteers to help with our Membership outreach, Newsletter production, Website updates and Conference planning. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to get involved.
On the national level, the American Veterinary Medical Association is also looking for volunteers for their committees including Animal Welfare, Food Safety Advisory, and Disaster and Emergency Issues. For a full list of positions and details on applying, please check out https://www.avma.org/Members/Volunteer/BecomeAVolunteer/Pages/Committee-Trust-Liaison-Positions-Available-April-2017.aspx.
Thanks to each of you for your hard work contributing to and bettering our communities. If you would like to highlight an opportunity or event you’re involved with, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to support and advocate for you!
On behalf of your HVMA Board,
Jill Yoshicedo, DVM