Veterinary Technicians and Assistants

Are you a veterinary technician or assistant, or want to know what it takes to be part of this great profession? Here are some resources just for you:

Hawaii Veterinary Technician Association   HVTA collaborates with HVMA on legislative issues to recognize the important role technicians play on the veterinary healthcare team.

National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America   The mission of NAVTA is to represent and promote the profession of veterinary technology. NAVTA provides direction, education, support and coordination for its members and works with other allied professional organizations for the competent care and humane treatment of animals.

Veterinary Assisting and Veterinary Technology Programs at Windward Community College   Dreaming of earning a Certificate in Veterinary Assisting, or an Associates Degree in Veterinary Technology? Get started here.

Do I need a license to be a veterinary technician?

Currently, a license is not required to practice veterinary technology in Hawaii. The HVMA and HVTA are working together to establish legislative recognition for veterinary technicians in our state.

The role of the veterinary technician is comparable to the role of the Registered Nurse in human medicine. The majority of American pet owners now view their pets as members of the family, and they want assurance that their pet has access to the same quality medical care that they expect for themselves. Providing a pathway to becoming a Registered Technician in Hawaii will elevate the entire veterinary profession in the eyes of the public by demonstrating our commitment to that same level of care.

Many veterinary technicians working in Hawaii are registered, certified or licensed as a veterinary technician in another state. These individuals must graduate from a program accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and pass the rigorous Veterinary Technician National Exam.

Beginning in June of 2018, anyone calling themselves a “Veterinary Technician” must be a Registered Veterinary Technician with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. This does not affect the duties and responsibilities that individual employees may perform under veterinary supervision. Stay tuned for details.