Aloha HVMA Members,
Hau’oli makahiki hou! We are glad you are a part of our veterinary community here in Hawaii. Membership registration is open, so please renew your membership at http://hawaiivetmed.org/membership/
Your HVMA membership allows us to help support you in your professional life. We seek to keep you informed on current events and provide legislative advocacy on issues pertinent to veterinarians in Hawaii. We provide members-only online content including classified ads, job postings, relief vet listings, and an online directory of member clinics. At our annual local conference, we bring in top-notch speakers and offer discounted registration to all current members. Through our organization, you will find networking, volunteer, and leadership opportunities.
Please let any of your new colleagues know that 2017 DVM graduates qualify for reduced membership dues ($50) in 2018, and 2018 DVM graduates receive complimentary HVMA membership in 2018. You do not need to be an AVMA member to be apply for HVMA membership, and if anyone needs help finding sponsors, just contact us. Please also notify us if you have reached the golden age of 65 and have 20+ years paid dues to qualify for Life Member status (membership dues waived).
We enjoyed seeing so many of you at our conference this past October, and hope to see many more at our 65th Annual Conference from November 8-11, 2018. Save the date!
As we continue to work to make the HVMA more accessible and relevant to its membership, please bear with us through the changes as we move to digital communications, and send us any feedback, suggestions, or interest in volunteering at email@example.com.
With warm aloha on behalf of your HVMA Board,
Jill Yoshicedo, DVM
Help improve the HVMA to better serve you! We are surveying both current and non-HVMA members. Each survey participant may enter to win our drawing for free HVMA membership in 2018. We will hold the drawing during our Annual Conference Social on Saturday Oct 28th from 6-8:30pm at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel. You will not need to be present to win. Take the survey here!
May 13th-14th at Blaisdell Exhibition Hall, corner of Ward Ave and King Street, Honolulu
Pet Expo is sponsored and organized by the HVMA. It has been an annual event for over 25 years and is FREE, and well received by the public, with an average of 10,000 people attending each year. The purpose of the Expo is to promote responsible pet ownership and strengthen the bond between people and their pets through educational displays, live animal demonstrations, and the latest in pet services and products. The HVMA is looking for veterinarians who will promote our profession in a positive manner and educate the public on the need for professional veterinary care. They are there to promote the HVMA and what we stand for, but can pass out business cards and information if asked for. We would like vets who are willing to volunteer their time to promote our profession and who are willing to interact with the public, to sign up.
1) HVMA Booth: This year we are doing away with the “Ask A Vet” booth, although vets manning the booth will be there to answer any kind of question. The HVMA booth will be similar to last year’s theme: Common Household Dangers.
2) Make and Take (Kiddie Craft ) Booth: Assist kids and their parents with making finger puppets and other paper crafts, which they get to make and take home. Keep booth clean and organized.
3) Greeters: Pass out programs and poop bags at the door. Help to direct traffic in and out of the Exhibition hall. Smile and welcome people. Collect canned goods and monetary donations for the Hawaii Food Bank.
4) Information Booth: Help direct people to exhibits, answer questions, make announcements, box up food donations, make more poop bags, run errands, clean up pet messes that are reported or seen.
5) Show Marshalls: The “Poop Patrol”. Patrol Exhibition Hall and grounds outside, picking up pet messes. Empty overflowing trash and cigarette bins outside hall and transfer to dumpster in back. The good thing about show marshaling is that you get to walk around the hall and check out all the exhibits, although you are supposed to be working, not shopping during your shift! We always need a lot of show marshals.
If volunteers sign up by the deadline, a t-shirt will be ordered for them. Sizes are M, L, and XL; please indicate shirt size when signing up. If you sign up vets are encouraged to wear lab coats or smocks to identify themselves as vet professionals, name tags will be provided. They may also wear the Pet Expo tshirt.
Volunteers are needed for Friday night to help set up. (No AC on Friday night, wear shorts!)
Saturday and Sunday the shifts are as follows: 9:30-12:00 am, 11:30 to 2:00 pm, and 1:30 to 4:00 pm. Only the first shift will be provided a small lunch.
Volunteers should sign up by calling Dr. Kam or staff at Ohana Vet Hospital at 845-1762, or fax at 848-1632.
We hope you enjoyed your time with our excellent guest speakers, packed exhibit hall, and your friends and colleagues. We would appreciate your feedback on the event. Please take our post-conference survey here. Mahalo for being a part of the HVMA!
Please log in to view the AVMA 2015 Annual Report. This report contains information that may be of interest to HVMA members, including AVMA member statistics, valuation of the veterinary degree and other veterinary economics information, an overview of AVMA’s advocacy efforts in legislation and regulation, and the AVMA’s 2015 financial report.
We would like to extend a warm mahalo to our manufacturers and distributors for their support in 2015, and especially for helping us make the 62nd Annual Meeting a success! More than 300 attendees, including veterinarians, veterinary technicians and other veterinary professionals, enjoyed top notch continuing education, camaraderie, great food, and exhibits. Special thanks to our 2015 sponsors:
- Veterinary Orthopedic Implants
Save the dates! Our 63rd Annual Meeting and continuing education conference is scheduled for November 10-13, 2016. Stay tuned for details or visit our 2016 Conference Page for the latest.
The HVMA site has been revamped with your needs in mind! New features include information for veterinarians moving to Hawaii, resources for technicians and assistants, and expanded information for pet owners. We hope to add job announcements and classifieds in the near future.
This site is for you, and we want your feedback on what you would like to see here. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make suggestions. Even better, volunteer to help make your HVMA stronger:
- We need content authors to help keep our members up to date on news events, legislative updates, pet product recalls, and more.
- If you have any great photos you would like to see featured on our site, we would love to have them!