AVMA District X Representative, George Bishop, presented an update from the AVMA at the HVMA annual meeting.
- Dr. Janet Donlin is the new AVMA EVP/CEO, replacing Dr. Ron DeHaven who recently retired.
- There will be a cyberbullying hotline available for members in January 2017. A 30 minute free consultation is included as part of the service.
- Member wellness/ wellbeing and the student debt issue are top priorities for the AVMA currently.
- Visit avma.org/wellness for resources on wellness.
- Highlights of recent advocacy efforts:
- The AVMA has been actively working with the USDA on the Horse Protection Act, urging regulatory changes to eliminate soring.
- AVMA is also working actively to defeat the Fairness to Pet Owners Act.
- The 2016 Veterinary Economic Reports Series will be released over the course of 2016. The reports can be viewed free by members at https://www.avma.org/PracticeManagement/BusinessIssues/Pages/AVMA-Economic-Report-Subscription.aspx
- AVMA Veterinary Leadership Conference is January 12-14, 2017 in Chicago.
- AVMA Convention is July 21-25, 2017 in Indianapolis.
- More AVMA updates can be viewed at www.avma.org
Cordell Chang and Leianne LeeLoy are the Hawaii delegates to the AVMA.